I Love to Glean now has a warehouse in Chula Vista called the South County Food Hub which provides added dry, cold and frozen storage capacities. We need the community’s assistance in getting this facility fully up and running to increase the recovery and distribution of nutritious food in the region as the need to feed people rapidly increases.
Volunteers are needed and can sign up on the Volunteers Page.
Winter 2020 CURRENT PROGRAMS
1. Distribute over 51K USDA Farm to Families Combo boxes through end of year.
2. Participate with the Fish to Families program distributing 600 fresh fish meals weekly.
3. Assist SDFSA and groups in Imperial Beach and South County on Food Vision 2030 Project.
4. Continue to facilitate the South San Diego County Food Recovery workgroup in planning for a large and permanent collaborative Food Recovery Warehouse and Production Kitchen in the region.
5. Continue work with agencies to identify their capacity building needs and fill gaps where possible.
Winter 2020 PLANNED PROGRAMS
1. Continue South County Food Hub activation in Chula Vista, CA. to support feeding agency logistics and capacity building.
2. Start store recovery program to support agency distributions.
3. Residential Gleaning (end of December).
|Backyard Gleaning||Reusable boxes (crates)|
|Backyard Gleaning||5 gallon buckets|
|Backyard Gleaning||Garden Clippers (10)|
|Backyard Gleaning||Gripper Gloves (36)|
|Backyard Gleaning||Picking Poles(5)|
|Facility Maintenance||canvas covers|
|Facility Maintenance||Cleaning and sanitation equipment|
|Facility/Program Admin||3 Chrome books, printer and supplies|
|Facility/Program Admin||Industrial cell phones - 4 (2 drivers, 1 admin, 1 mgr)|
|Training/Marketing||Mobile A/V equipment|
|Transportation||~24' Refrigerated Truck|
|Transportation||~24’ Box Truck|
|Transportation||food rescue coolers/equipment|
|Warehouse Equipment||32 gallon cans|
|Warehouse Equipment||Dock Ramp|
|Warehouse Equipment||Automated pallet jack|
|Warehouse Equipment||Canopies/tents (pop ups)|
San Diego Residential Gleaning Possibilities - COSD Sup District
Report goal - to develop a better understanding of the enormous quantity of food available in residential gardens and to help organizations define and implement food recovery systems, redistribution, processing, landfill diversion and Green House Gas (GHG) avoidance in San Diego County.
2019 Report - The State of the Food System in the San Diego Region
Report goal - to understand what the food system looks like in San Diego county, its current state, its challenges, and areas of opportunity. The report also identifies metrics to track progress in the different areas of the food system.
Food Donation Action Plan for the San Diego Region
Report Goal - to support and improve food donation in the San Diego region to help address food and nutrition insecurity, while also reducing food waste, which are priorities of the Live Well San Diego Food System Initiative. This initiative supports the County of San Diego’s (County) Live Well San Diego vision of a region that is building better health, living safely, and thriving.
Misson & History